Saturday, January 7, 2012

new year, no new plan

I still don't know when anything is going down...

I still have my "appt" on Feb 16th. I can't seem to cancel it, even though I know with certainty, that I will not have surgery that trip. Dr. Mayo is completely booked for January and February - making up appts for people from November and December that had to be rescheduled due to his own bakc surgery.

I do know that he agrees with my diagnosis of hip dysplasia. I was also told that I wouldn't even be considered as a patient if my records didn't indicate the potential need. So despite the awesome pain I am in daily, I now have confirmation from two doctors that there is something wrong with my hip - not just my head.

I am okay with the thought of going down and being told that this surgery isn't my best possible outcome (inappropriate, too much damage, etc....) What I am more concerned about is... flying down there for a consult and having the Dr. say "yes, you really need this surgery, BUT, I can't schedule you for it for another couple months. So, yes, you will have to fly back down, and it will cost you a lot of money"

It just sucks. I know he is good, and likely worth the wait... but the wait/pain is killing me.

I feel like I am in limbo. My original orthopedic physician has referred me on (written me off) to an orthopedic surgeon. The orthopedics surgeon, who doesn't want to do the arthroscopy- because it isn't the entire cause of the injury/pain, has referred me on and pretty much written me off... Now I have a potential surgeon... one, I have never met, and one, who.... can't even tell me anything more BECAUSE HE HAS NEVER SEEN ME.

all of this sucks and I have no real good updates... I am tired, in pain, and completely frustrated with it all. I know I should feel lucky that I was even diagnosed this early in my pain stages and have a POTENTIAL plan of action... but this phase of it, the not knowing/having a plan... is killing me.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there!! I definately remember (and HATED) this feeling of not knowing!! The wait absolutely sucks. It is actually a good thing that he isn't just fitting you in to his schedule the day you fly in to see him. Typically the very best have wait times and those surgeons who can fit you in the day you see them (or next day) usually don't have as much experience so they take on whatever comes their way. As much as it's going to hurt and really suck waiting, it is the best thing for your hips! The money issue is crazy crappy too. Sorry you have to go through this, but you've got an awesome support group to get through it with! I've enjoyed reading your blog as you go along. From one "hippie" to another, wishing you all the best:)
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete