Thursday, January 12, 2012

darn weather...

I live in Alaska... so I am not "new to snow." But since this summer and my recent move... weather offers a new perspective...

I moved from the east-side of Anchorage to the south-side or Hillside, as some would describe it. We live on the side of a mountain. There are a limited number of houses that are actually higher than ours in this area of the Chugach Range. I love it. It is quiet, we have a view, and the kids can ride their snowmachines between our property and our neighbors (brother & sister-in laws home). So far we love it.

However.... this winter... is ranking pretty high up there in inches of snow and # of crazy winter storms. We have officially exceeded the "average yearly snowfall" and it is only January. We still have 3-4 months left to accumulate more!

For some people, this may not be a problem. Sure - it sucks to drive to work in and can often disrupt plans and lives. But for someone with a bad hip... it means much more.


I have never paid a significant amount of attention when I have heard people state "this cold, or this weather, really makes my joints hurt." It never meant too much to me, at least I never noticed.

It means something different now. I first notice it a month or so ago. Our temps got down below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I will admit that is cold. I will also admit that I was having a SIGNIFICANT amount of pain. Initially it didn't occur to me that it could be a result of the significant damage to my joint that I have only recently been aware of. Well now... I know it is.

We have had several crazy weather systems that have moved in and out in the past month or so. Temps have ranged from -20 to 40. Yes, I moved in that time and probably overstressed myself a bit.

But I will never deny or second guess the effect the weather has on my already damaged hip.

#hoping the remaining winter weather is mild and hoping for an early summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment