Thursday, August 2, 2012

6 & 7 week Post - Op

6 Weeks The day before 6 weeks, I decided I was completely sick of my house. The Mr. had been out of the house for several days: one with the kids playing, 4-wheeling by himself and running our summer fishing business. The kids and I were stir crazy with cabin fever. So I decided that we could continue to get on each others' nerves in our house or we could go to the valley with my in-laws and either stay at their house (where we wouldn't be alone) or in the motor home in their yard one night (to see how well I could stand sleeping in the motor home seconds from a real bed).

The Mr. was already out at the river fishing by the time we woke up to get ready. I was crutching along, helping the kids get packed up and showered, when I slipped in the bathroom on the wet floor (darn those kiddos for getting in and out of the shower, splashing in play). I stepped hard - not actually falling, but definitely breaking my weight bearing restrictions (44 lbs). Pain shot up and down my body from my chest to my toes but I was determined to get out of the house so I continued. We finally got out of the house (with the great help of my mother-in-law). We stopped by the pharmacy to pick up a refill of my pain medication before going out of town. I had been on the phone of with my AK Dr.'s office getting a refill when the "sub" medical assistant (MA) who was filling in for my DR told me that that I was taking "WAY TOO MUCH PAIN MEDICATION" for being over a month post-op and that I needed to "cut back quite a bit." We talked for a few minutes regarding the dose I was taking and how Dr. P had said I would be on that dose for 6 weeks before taking 6 weeks to wean me down (only 3 weeks earlier). I was completely confused but out of pills and knew I would see him the next week for my follow-up appt - plus she didn't really sound willing to negotiate anything. So I took it. So, in less than a day, I went from taking 15-20mg of Norco every 4-6 hours to 10mg every 12 hours. I knew this was drastic when I picked up the meds but again, knew I would see the Dr. the next week to straighten it out. That on top of the slip/fall in the bathroom took me over the edge.

I had a ton of swelling that night and was really concerned. I was also in a lot of pain which I wasn't sure was in response to the fall or the drastic reduction in meds. I couldn't handle the med switch and called the Dr.'s office the next day and told them that. The sub MA told me basically to suck it up and deal with "a couple hard days" even though I told her I couldn't go 6 hours. I also had a lot of bruising and swelling. My great friends on my Hip Chicks website suggested that it was a hematoma that maybe had ruptured in the slip, especially since I had been dealing with increased redness, swelling and bruising for weeks. I agreed but when I called the Dr., the same nasty MA told me "I could go into the walk-in clinic if I was worried but the Dr. wouldn't be in until the next week," well I had an appt the next week, so I didn't go. I went ahead with a family trip in the motor home to camp at the river the hubs fishes at. Here are a couple pictures!!!

6 weeks - After slip in bathroom Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Laying on Boat with my leg up Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App On the boat Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Me and the Kiddos Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Camping Day 3 6w Camping D3, Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Cankles after being "out & about" for 3 days Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

7 weeks Post-op 7 weeks since my RPAO, labral repair, and femoral head/neck resurfacing with Dr. Mayo. Yesterday, I had a follow-up appt with my OS here in AK yesterday Dr. P... He thinks the swelling/redness/bruising is either the result of a torn muscle or a ruptured hematoma either of which was a result of my fall. He was pretty impressed with my amount of bruising and gave me a look for not coming in but I said I didn't have a ride, which was only partially true and I left out the camping excursion.

He did x-rays to make sure my anchor screws were still in place - which would indicate tearing off one of the muscles that was moved and anchored during the PAO. They were still in place which he said was good and meant that if it was a tear - it was partial or a completely different muscle. He said that it was also very likely that it was a hematoma, which would help explain some more of the symptoms as well - especially the bruising - which was significant even when I was there. At this point, neither issue would be something they would do A LOT about right now. The torn muscle would have to be addressed slowly when going into PT and the hematoma would likely resolve on its own, with the blood dissolving back into the body. Both of which will be cause for more pain - the hematoma would have been causing more pain all along so that is what it likely is/was.

With regards to the pain meds... It was a misunderstanding and it was because of the sub MA (that was not so nice). A couple weeks ago when I was still trying to get all pain & meds under control - he had authorized more Oxycontin ER (extended release, every 12 hours). I told his assistant I didn't want it - I had weaned myself down to the Norco and didn't want to go back so it was never even called into the pharmacy and never picked up. Well THAT doesn't show up in their computer and he his fill-in MA (who was very judgmental and condescending) informed him that I was taking 20mg of oxycontin and 20mg of Norco for going on 3 weeks now, which is why he wanted me to drastically reduce the Norco. I would have definitely been very "drugged up" if that were true. When I explained that I never took those - he apologized over and over because I was in needless pain. And authorized enough pills that he *would like* to last 6 weeks but if I don't quite make it - then I needed to call him. I also gave him a pain log for the last week and he said thank you and apologized again.

Well the bones aren't quite healed though - almost. The bottom cut was more blurry and almost healed but there was still a distint cut in the top - he said 2 more weeks before I can start weight bearing as tolerated. Same post op restriction for 2 more weeks. This is quite ok with me because I wasn't quite ready - pain wise for sure, mentally either after the last week.

My sister, her husband and my nephew got here the night before last at 4am. We got up to go to my appt at 7am so it was a long day. It was also a nice day and we decided to pack up and head out to our cabin. Between that, fighting with the pharmacy and my insurance deciding that the whole medication dosing change was confusing, and having to go 8 hours without meds - I was in serious pain by the time we got here. I like to describe it as giving birth naturally while being strapped into a medieval horse pulling torture device. I took meds and slept. Hanging out today - perfect!

All in all - I am still feeling okay with recovery at this point. The hematoma explanation makes me feel a little less like a baby. Being on the same page as my OS with regards to starting PT and weaning off meds over the next 6 weeks is relieving. So I was able to enjoy some time out at our cabin/lake with my family before the rain came in and we came home...

Next, I will start PT and work at the same time in about 2 more weeks. EEP, maybe I should have picked up the oxycontin... My nephew and I Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App First boat to the cabin! Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

No comments:

Post a Comment