Thursday, June 14, 2012

Post-OP Summary

The surgery went well from what I hear. They were able to cut and rotate the acetabulum to a correct position. My labrum was not only torn but almost completed detached. He sutured it back but labral repairs aren't extremely successful. He also shaved down the bone on my femoral neck. The surgery took from 8-2:30 and I was in recovery for about 3 hours. Mostly waiting for my room to be ready. I was doing pretty well in recovery, I thought. however...

My epidural doesn't completely cover the surgical incision. I can feel the top two inches and it hurts. So the anesthesiologist came in to "play" with it. She wanted to up the dose on it to see if that numbed up farther or if they just weren't going to be able to control it with the epidural. She gave me a dose of whatever it was with lidocaine. It felt better after about 10 minutes so she decided to give me another dose. About 10 minutes after that - so 20 minutes in I got really nauseous and started dry heaving a bit which hurt so they gave me vial of something for the nausea & some benedryl to control the reaction I was having. Well a couple minutes after that I felt super bad. I felt numb almost up to my chest and told my mom something was wrong.

I suddenly felt like I couldn't talk or breathe. Matt hit the call button and went outside to find someone. I looked at my mom again and started to panic - I couldn't breathe so she left the room too. A nurse rushed in and hit the thing to take my vitals. My oxygen sat level was in the 80s. My blood pressure was 58/54 and my heart rate was over 200. Mom grabbed the kids (who were in the room watching TV) and took them out to "go for a walk." The nurse hit the rapid response/code button and within seconds there were like 20 people in the room. They were lowering the bed, wheeling in a crash cart, hooking me up to oxygen, and telling me to squeeze their hands. I started to black out. I couldn't really see and was super hot. The nurse was shaking my hand and yelling "stay with me, Rebekah, look at me." I remember thinking OMG I am going to pass out and NOT wake back up. I honestly thought I was dying.

I was strapped to an EKG and given a dose of something else in a new IV- they started another one on the other arm. I faded in and out of consciousness and the details are fuzzy but I remember Matt finally coming over and replacing the nurse who was holding my hand. I couldn't help it or stop it... the tears started flowing. I was so overwhelmed. Apparently my diaphragm was paralyzed. It was horrible. The anesthesiologist had to give me several other drugs and monitor my blood pressure every 3 minutes for 30 minutes before it started staying in the 90s over 60s. It has pretty much stabilized today but my blood counts are low too so.... lots of slow movements and dizziness here. I was able to sit at the edge of the bed for about 2 minutes before getting dizzy and needing to lay down again so I didn't pass out. Soooo... exciting huh?

 This was AFTER my daughter passed out when they were clearing my drain bag. Yup she is like her dad and faints at the sight of blood. She hit her head and they had to file an incident report. I am feeling okay right now and seem to be staying on top of my pain with a syringe of dilaudid every 8 hours or so, I guess I should be pretty grateful for that but please let the rest of this recovery be NOTHING like the first 24 hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment