Sunday, May 20, 2012

just under a month...

I know I have been a little absent. The end of the school year came up like a freight train! I was super busy, stressed and otherwise - mentally occupied.

Last week however, was my last week for the summer. We ended the year with a bang... almost literally. Wednesday morning - we had a pretty darn good earthquake. It registered at only 4.7 and 7 miles from my house but I swore it was stronger. My dresser (with TV on top) swayed, visably and a bunch of things fell in my pantry. Then Thursday (last day of school with students) we had a lockdown - not a drill-the real thing! There was a guy who lives next door to the school who was angry about the construction in front of the school who came out and threatened construction workers, pulled a gun and ran when the cops showed. Our school went into full-on lockdown mode and we even had to evacuate our pod of the school. Pretty crazy. Friday was simply a work-day and all I had to do was check-out of two schools and turn in my laptop for the summer.

Turning in my laptop almost meant a crisis in my household. We usually get to keep our computers all summer - I have never had to turn it in... and I was pretty upset that the ONE year I have a pretty nasty surgery with a LONG recovery - they decide we have to turn our laptops in for a OS upgrade. Luckily, I have a principal at one of my schools who is awesome and he let me check out one from the school (I usually go from my department - related services). So I will still have access to a computer and all my stuff for the summer! yay!

All of this, I think.... a vain attempt to distract me from what is coming... My hip surgery.

Geez - a bazillion (okay, a couple) people have kept asking me when the surgery is going to happen. I guess they are tired of seeing me on crutches... Well, that day, my friends, is less than a month away now.

I got my pre-op/post-op paperwork and almost puked. My mind has been occupied with work stuff recently but that package of papers made it take pause and now that I have nothing to think about... I am even more terrified than before, I just haven't had times to think about it. Well, now I do.

I am too late to donate my own blood (a big thanks to my dr's office for sending that paperwork so freaking late - it is impossible). I know what medications I will be on. I know approximately how long before I can drive and have sex... I know what I need to have rented before I leave the hospital...

We went camping - what we thought may be our only good chance at a camping trip this summer - before I am recovering from major surgery. It was tons of fun. We went fishing, shot bows, and hung around the campfire (drinking). It was a great weekend. And tomorrow, I will fly to CO to hang with my mom and sister before this upcoming, super-scary, super-serious surgery, and the flight back to AK.

We fly out tomorrow and now, I have just a little bit more of a distraction from what is coming in the next month on June 13th....










No comments:

Post a Comment