Thursday, February 16, 2012

June 13th... good day to break your pelvis?

So I met with Dr. Mayo today... somewhat of a... letdown?

I don't know why. I don't know what I was expecting.

He was a nice guy. The office staff was very nice. I felt taken care of, I felt like he listened to and cared about what I was thinking. He explained things. I didn't feel rushed. He confirmed and reiterated everything that Dr. Prevost said (the Dr who referred me down). Even gave him some mad props for recognizing, diagnosing, and not attempting to work on me arthroscopically.

Heck, I finally got surgery scheduled. I should be super happy right? I guess I was just expecting more.

Still pretty straight-forward. I have mild-to-moderate (more moderate) dysplasia in my right hip. Grade 1 arthritis. I do have positive signs of impingement in the front and there are signs of stress growth on the femoral neck (I think that is term he used) and the acetabulum that may need to be shaved down when they get in there. There was a tear in the labrum which was thin to begin with - so that is an issue. Otherwise he said the actual femoral head shape and acetabular depth look pretty good so it will likely be a fairly successful surgery once I am into recovery.

So unless there is a cancellation... I will be having my acetabulum cut out (broken) of my pelvis, re-positioned and pinned early this summer. With just enough time to recover before having to go back to work. Maybe that is the biggest let-down I am feeling. My summer will be spent growing bone.

I am happy, I am. Just need to convince myself to feel it.

1 comment:

  1. Not fun to have a summer recuperating but at least you will be.

    ReplyDelete